Monday 25 February 2013

Oscars 2013: The Winners


Well after months of excitement, anticipation, predictions and a thousand other award ceremonies, last night the envelopes were finally opened and the names were revealed. We saw some surprise winners and some less surprising winners. Host Seth Macfarlane has received a lot of mixed reviews from the critics and twitter...ok so they're mostly negative reviews but who cares? I personally enjoyed him hosting; the musical numbers, the bad taste jokes...What did people expect from the man who created Family Guy? Anyway, lets take a look at who won and whether my predictions were right.


Best Picture: Argo.

The clear favourite, so it was no surprise to hear it be called out, after picking up: the Globe, the SAG, the Bafta, well just about every award going. There was no doubt that this would win, although I felt that this was more of a condolence award for Affleck after not even getting nominated for Best Director, which I think he should have gotten if not won.

Best Director: Ang Lee - Life of Pi.

I was surprised by this one, but really pleased because he was my personal favorite of the nominees. Everyone was expecting Mr Spielberg to pick up his third Oscar for Best Director and while his work on Lincoln was brilliant as always, it wasn't the best of the year. A good choice from the academy voters and I couldn't agree more.

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis - Lincoln.

Well I didn't see that coming... Of course Daniel Day-Lewis won his third Oscar for Lincoln. It was almost decided when they announced he'd be cast in the role. Lewis was good, very good but I would have like to have seen this one go to Hugh Jackman, something I thought I'd never say.

Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence - Sliver Linings Playbook.

A part of me was really pleased to see Lawrence win the Best Actress Oscar but another part of me really wanted Emmanuel Riva's name be called out. Well done to Lawrence though for a brilliant performance that I loved very much. I think it shows that the Academy can still be on the pulse of whats relevant and young, something they seem a little desperate to be at times.

  
Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained.

This category was the widest open in terms of who could win. It could have really gone to any of them but come Oscar night, everyone had their money on Tommy Lee Jones and Christoph Waltz. Waltz only won this award three years ago, again for a Tarantino film, which was a well deserved win but come on. Where was Leonardo DiCaprio? Not even a nomination, how rude.

Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway - Les Misérables.

Of course Anne Hathaway won, there was no way she wouldn't. After seeing her brilliant performance in the somewhat messy Les Miserables, I was won over. She didn't just steal the film, she saved it from being a complete bomb. No one else even had a look in.


Best Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino - Django Unchained.

I think this is a well deserved win for Tarantino, who I felt should have won back in 2009 for Inglorious Bastards when Mark Boal won for the Hurt Locker. I thought Boal would win again this year for Zero Dark Thirty, so I'm really pleased that Tarantino picked up his second Oscar finally.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio - Argo.

I didn't expect to see Argo win this one. My money was on the Life of Pi or even Lincoln for the win and while Argo was a great screenplay, I don't think it was the best. Again, this was maybe another condolence award for the Best Director snub.


Best Foreign Film: Amour.

This was the obvious winner. After picking up Best Picture and Best Directing nominations, it was clear that there was a lot of love for Amour. I'm not gonna lie; I don't like Micheal Haneke films and while I did enjoy Emanuelle Riva's performance, I didn't like the film as a whole.

Best Animated Film: Brave.

I was disappointed that Brave won. It's a brilliant film and I did enjoy it a lot but I felt the other animated movies were better. I would have been happy to see any of the others win but Pixar are clearly unstoppable at the Oscars and until they make another Cars 2, no other film stands a chance.

Best Song: Adele and Paul Epwoth - Skyfall.

Of course she was going to win. It's Adele, she wins everything! It was the best song from a weak year but that shouldn't take away from its huge success, being the only Bond song to win Best Song. That's insane to think when you look back at some of those brilliant songs so well done Adele.


What do you think of the winners? Do you agree with the Academy's choices or not? Feel free to let me know your thoughts and opinions, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment