Thursday 13 September 2012

I Love The 90s: Women in Music.

 
There's a time in your early teens when you really start to get into music, you discover songs by singers and bands that really understand you, they just get you and affect you in a way that no one else does. It's at this time that you begin to establish a taste in music generally and often find your favourite artist that you'll hold on to for life. For me this point of my life happened in, you guessed it, the 90s.
The 90s was a vast and diverse decade of music from the rise of grunge bands like Nirvana and Brit pops such as Blur. To the R&B divas and hip hop rivals that would define a generation of music.
 
 
 


Being the youngest boy with three older sisters, my taste in music was very heavily influenced by whatever they were listening to at the time. So for me, the 90s was all about the women. From the Spice Girls camp brand of lairy girl power pop to the slick, slow jam R&B of Janet Jackson, I loved it all.
 

There were so many amazing albums from female artists, like  Alanis Morrisette moody classic album 'Jagged Little Pill' to the country cross over hit 'Come on Over' by Shania Twain. Then there were the big voice divas, whose ridiculous album sales ruled the 90s like no other decade. Mariah had a particular place in my heart, with classics like 'Hero' and my personal favourite 'Fantasy'. You can't beat that remix with O.D.B, "me and Mariah go back like babies and pacifiers". I love her voice, hearing her hit that whistle note still gets me every time. I also couldn't get enough of Whitney or even a little bit of Celine.
 
  
But my main love of the 90s had to be, without a doubt, the Spice Girls. Their cool Britannia image and fun pop songs were so catchy they got stuck in your head for ages and made you want to dance, which were so simple you could learn them at home. They're so ingrained in my brain that every time I hear one of their songs now I can't help but dance along, 'Stop' being the best. However, the shining light of my life was eclipsed by something very dark and devastating on the horizon, and I'm not talking about 'Spice World the Movie' which was great by the way. After only two short years of worldwide success, Geri Halliwell left the group, and at the height of their fame, why? Why did she do that? Needless to say, I was devastated.
 
 
There were so many other woman who blew my mind in the 90s, like TLC's smooth and seductive 'Crazy Sexy Cool' album and Salt N Peppa's sassy 'Very Necessary'. I think I listened to that album so much that I can still rap along to any one of their songs at the drop of a hat, 'Spinderella cut it up one time'. I still liked Madonna in the 90s, where she made the transition from nymphomaniac to earth mother to make her best album ever 'Ray of Light' and countless drum and bass, trance and house music songs which will never fail to make me feel nostalgic and make me want to get my groove on.


I haven't yet reached that stage yet when nothing is 'as good as it used to be' but I'm expecting it any day now.

What do you remember of music from the 90s? Is there any female artist I forgot that you remember?  Let me know, comment, plus, share, follow and enjoy and be sure to check back soon for more 90s love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment